Rondeau Bay Reef Project

Let's talk Ice Fishing in and around Erieau and Rondeau Bay.
LetSrok

Rondeau Bay Reef Project

Post by LetSrok » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Apparently there was an old reef project on Rondeau Bay, some 20 years ago. Attached are coordinates of the reef locations. **Remember, this is 20 year old info.
Rondeau Reefs.pdf
(264.48 KiB) Downloaded 991 times

Fish Fry

Re: Rondeau Bay Reef Project

Post by Fish Fry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:03 pm

I read a story on the home page saying the gov screwed up major in the 70's with a chemical project. It says it wiped out all the weeds and fish for 10yrs. Wouldn't that have changed things a little. Is this story absolute true? What a disaster that must have been insane. I couldn't imagine not fishing in the bay for 10yrs.

oldgeezer

Post by oldgeezer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 pm

LetSrok wrote:Apparently there was an old reef project on Rondeau Bay, some 20 years ago. Attached are coordinates of the reef locations. **Remember, this is 20 year old info.
Rondeau Reefs.pdf

LetSrok...
Where in the world were you able to get that great tip?...lol

LetSrok

Post by LetSrok » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 am

FF, not sure what branch of government ordered the weed kill, but it is true. I have heard accounts from those paid to apply the chemicals. I grew up on my grandfathers fishing camp, right hear in Erieau, and I remember when things just kind of dropped off.

There used to be turtles that you would have thought were directly form a Godzilla movie; they were huge. Everything fish related was plentiful.

I was too young to realize what was really going on.

Apparently, the reefs were put in to keep the water from moving around so much, so that the weeds could take hold once again. I think it worked.

Thank the Lord things have turned around.

oldgeezer: a friend passed that along. I have seen it on the swamp, as well.

oldgeezer

Post by oldgeezer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 pm

The artificial reef project was intended to provide shelter/security for the fish due to the weeds devastation. The 12 reef locations consisted of automotive tires bound together in different configurations (like a "U", "O", "H" shape).
About 10 or so years ago, I tried finding reef #2. I didn't have a GPS at the time so I was going only by the map details. I did finally find a sweet spot. Constant perch and they were there every day I returned to the same hole. Beyond 20 or so yards of the hole was no action or very sparse. I can't say for sure if it was reef #2.
I haven't fished the bay in several yrs. That 1 year (?) when the water level dropped the ice fishing seemed to drop with it. It would be great to see some people locate the reefs and attract more anglers back. Used to have some great times out there.

LetSrok

Post by LetSrok » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks oldgeezer! I understand that this document was obtained originally by your hard efforts. Thanks for sharing.

LetSrok

Post by LetSrok » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:42 pm

olgeezer. Did you receive my email?

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 am

oldgeezer wrote:The artificial reef project was intended to provide shelter/security for the fish due to the weeds devastation. The 12 reef locations consisted of automotive tires bound together in different configurations (like a "U", "O", "H" shape).
About 10 or so years ago, I tried finding reef #2. I didn't have a GPS at the time so I was going only by the map details. I did finally find a sweet spot. Constant perch and they were there every day I returned to the same hole. Beyond 20 or so yards of the hole was no action or very sparse. I can't say for sure if it was reef #2.
I haven't fished the bay in several yrs. That 1 year (?) when the water level dropped the ice fishing seemed to drop with it. It would be great to see some people locate the reefs and attract more anglers back. Used to have some great times out there.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the fact that you made this information public in the spirit of helping Rondeau Bay anglers. A multitude of fishermen are going to treasure this map, and the information you have collected and shared!

In the spirit of sharing, I have been handed down a map of the bay as well. I am sure you have seen it...it came from the old owners of B&B Baits. It is old but is neat to look at how the bay use to look in its hayday. It is too large for my scanner, but I'll get her done up and post it and get it framed and hung up in the shop here!

Thanks again!

EB
May you have fair winds and following seas!

doctorfishey

Post by doctorfishey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I punched all of these in to my GPS next time out I will be investigating to see if these are still existing and fishable the ones in the deeper water could be a haven for fish when the weeds thin out under the ice. I wonder why they put so many in such shallow water I would imagine that these would almost clip your prop if there was stack of tires in 3 feet of water??

Aroc11

Post by Aroc11 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 pm

To answer your question about the shallow areas, it won’t make a difference what’s in there. If you’re running on full plane in less than 4’ you’re taking your prop into your own hands so to speak. There are literally hundreds of small boulders, rock piles, logs, left over stands from duck hides etc. all over the bay! So I don’t think the artificial reefs are going to make any difference in your chances to clip your prop. Just thought I’d let you know in case you weren’t as familiar with what’s lurking in the shallows of the bay.

On that note, I think I actually found a couple of these reefs by mistake just trolling and drifting around. A few of these waypoints match up pretty comparably with the points I saved myself. And to let you know, they sunk more than just tires! There is all kinds of different structure down there. Cement pillars, railroad ties, and the tires seem to fill the bulk of these reefs. Carful with your lines though, lots of snags down there!

Fish Fry

Post by Fish Fry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:46 pm

LetSrok wrote: Thank the Lord things have turned around.
No joke i do everyday. I personnel love the bay it's great even if i have a bad day i guess. :lol: There is nothing like the bay around the London area. You have to drive about 1hr and a bit to find a great area like that.