Shrewsbury Ice Conditions Report

Let's talk Ice Fishing in and around Erieau and Rondeau Bay.
Aroc11

Shrewsbury Ice Conditions Report

Post by Aroc11 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Got out for a few hours in Shrewsbury yesterday. 2-3" of good clear hard ice where I was but there was lots of sketchy spots and visible open water further out. Only ventured out 80-100 yards or so but off to the right near the bait shop.

The ramp is NOT SAFE. Punched through semi frozen snow all around the ramp and dock so itll be a bit yet before regular access will be there.

Good news is the Visibility was decent at 2 feet. Water was cloudy but should clean up by the time safe ice is here. If you do venture out spud in and out and give it a thud every step of the way.

huntnmachine

Re: Shrewsbury Ice Conditions Report

Post by huntnmachine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm

My boys went out Friday and reported the same ice conditions........
We didn't need this snow
Thanks for the report

jstuebing

Post by jstuebing » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Hey Aroc was that you in the blue pull over thingy? If so I saw you.

Brave soul out there alone - I did notice you didn't go far.

I actually set up my hut in the canal for a few hours yesterday a bit protected from the wind - no luck for me not even a nibble.

Catch anything out there ?? I was gonna go set up in the same area yesterday but I was alone and didn't wanna risk going through or losing the hut in the wind LOL

The canal had a solid layer of ice 4 inches. Some slushy crap on top freezing as well so I see what youre saying about the ramp being sketchy.

Damn geese out there keeping some spots open - hopefully with the cold temps tonight and the rest of the end of the week we can get out there - says some rain this week not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing at this point melt some snow and make more ice?! lol

Aroc11

Post by Aroc11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 am

Yes that was me. I fished the cut as well. Managed 3 big gills in the cut and nothing in the bay. Had one big thump when I first got there but missed him then nothing after.

Believe it or not the ice right where I was at on the bay was a little better than where I was on the cut. But being alone is why I took extra caution and didn't go far.

I don't think the rain will be anything to worry about. If anything it will mix with the snow and force the air bubbles out to make a more solid top layer when the cold returns later this week.

jstuebing

Post by jstuebing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm

That's what I am hoping, about the rain.

Had I moved around in the cut more I probably could have found something but I was super sore from shoveling snow and riding my snowmobile the day before so I kinda just plopped down on a spot I like and tried it out.

When I checked it last night the bay looked to be frozen over completely finally!! Im sure those spots need some hardening but hopefully the rain will help bring it all together - hoping to get the gf out on Saturday for her first ice fishing experience!!