Ice Conditions Erieau Feb 3 with Report

Let's talk Ice Fishing in and around Erieau and Rondeau Bay.
Aroc11

Ice Conditions Erieau Feb 3 with Report

Post by Aroc11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:42 am

Haven't fished erieau side in a while, just wondering what the ice conditions are? Thinking of fishing Post Point area if I can get out there.
Last edited by Aroc11 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aroc11

Re: Ice Conditions Erieau Side?

Post by Aroc11 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Fished about 30-50 yards West of Post Pt today. Walked out from end of fire road beside the brewery. There was a good sized pressure crack i had to navigate across that runs from Johnson's marina to post point. Found a flat spot so wasn't too bad but I'd caution trying to cross without a spud.

Came across a few bad spots when I reached the point. 12"-14" of ice most everywhere. Saw a cpl open spots and spudded through 1"-2" of white ice periodically as well. Looks like it was recently open and freshly frozen over after the snow and cold we just had.

Once i settled into a safer area the fishing was a lot of fun with non stop action (mostly sight fishing) for 4 straight hrs. Only had a hand full of keepers and the rest were about 200-300 dinks lol.

Got bit litterally ever time I dropped down. Ran out of bait in first hr but they still bit plain jigs and spoons pretty consistently. Would've been a great day to have brought the kids out.

Water was gin clear everywhere I checked. There was also a bit of current right at the point. I've never seen that before that far in the bay away from the channel but it likely explains why the ice was sketchy there.

All in all happy with how the day went even though I didn't bring home the bacon lol.

huntnmachine

Re: Ice Conditions Erieau Feb 3 with Report

Post by huntnmachine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Great report and great day on the ice Aroc

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Good day fishin!!

EB
May you have fair winds and following seas!

Aroc11

Post by Aroc11 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Absolutely! Good Days fishing don't always have to end with a bucket full. Only thing that could've made this day any better was having the kids with me to see their faces catching fish after fish. Would've been a day they'd have remembered forever I have no doubt about it!